Wednesday, March 18, 2009

March 18th 2009


Our amaryllis are blooming as you can see, 1st day of spring is Friday! yippee!!
Dad was much better yesterday, back to his self thank goodness. Still weak and hasn't got out of bed but at least his mind is back. I'll go up later this afternoon to say hello, looks like all the shifts are covered for today.
So while I was at the hospital yesterday I read the paper. Saw this recipe for an Irish dish I thought would be interesting to try. My family loves potato pancakes made from mashed potatoes. I had our corned beef and cabbage all ready planned so I didn't make these yesterday but will try it this week. Here it is, let me know how they are if you make them.

Boxty

1 pound Idaho Potatoes, peeled, rinsed and grated
1 cup 2 percent milk
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon parsley flakes or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
Nonstick cooking spray

Squeeze the excess water from the grated potatoes. In a large bowl, stir together the potatoes, milk, egg, flour, salt and pepper and parsley. Generously coat a nonstick pan with the cooking spray or use a large griddle to cook several at a time. Working in batches, pour about 1/4 cup of the batter in the pan. Spread it thin to ensure the potato cooks through and is golden brown on both sides. The texture should be similar to a pancake. Serve plain, with honey or butter or filled with meat, cheese or vegetables.

No comments: